Establishment and membership
(1) A Privacy Advisory Committee is established.
(2) The Advisory Committee shall consist of:
(a) the Commissioner; and
(aa) the Privacy Commissioner (within the meaning of the Australian Information Commissioner Act 2010); and
(b) not more than 8 other members.
(3) A member other than the Commissioner and Privacy Commissioner (within the meaning of that Act):
(a) shall be appointed by the Governor General; and
(b) shall be appointed as a part time member.
(4) An appointed member holds office, subject to this Act, for such period, not exceeding 5 years, as is specified in the instrument of the member’s appointment, but is eligible for re appointment.
(5) The Commissioner shall be convenor of the Committee.
(6) The Governor General shall so exercise the power of appointment conferred by subsection (3) that a majority of the appointed members are persons who are neither officers nor employees, nor members of the staff of an authority or instrumentality, of the Commonwealth.
(7) Of the appointed members:
(a) at least one must be a person who has had at least 5 years’ experience at a high level in industry or commerce; and
(aa) at least one must be a person who has had at least 5 years’ experience at a high level in public administration, or the service of a government or an authority of a government; and
(ab) at least one must be a person who has had extensive experience in health privacy; and
(b) at least one must be a person who has had at least 5 years’ experience in the trade union movement; and
(c) at least one must be a person who has had extensive experience in information and communication technologies; and
(d) at least one must be appointed to represent general community interests, including interests relating to social welfare; and
(e) at least one must be a person who has had extensive experience in the promotion of civil liberties.
(10) An appointed member holds office on such terms and conditions (if any) in respect of matters not provided for by this Act as are determined, in writing, by the Governor General.
(11) The performance of a function of the Advisory Committee is not affected because of a vacancy or vacancies in the membership of the Advisory Committee.